Mold is not just detrimental to human health. It can also harm your four-legged friends, including dogs, cats, birds, guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, gerbils, reptiles, hamsters, and amphibians. To help your beloved pets stay safe from this toxic fungus, learn what your Orange County mold inspection team wants you to know.
How Pets Get Exposed to Mold
Like people, pets can inhale mold spores, especially if the infestation is over 10 square feet. Any infestation larger than this poses health risks to home’s inhabitants. Pets can also ingest mold through their food. For example, if wet cat or dog food is left out and spoils, it can sustain “fuzzy growth,” or mold.
Another form of animal friend exposure to mold is musty towels. Perhaps your dog has a favorite towel that is perpetually damp, or your cat likes to sleep on towels on the floor in the bathroom. Any spores in the towels get inhaled and increase your pet’s exposure to mold.
Other potential sources include mold-ridden wooden fencing. Dogs in particular love to chew on things, including wood, and can accidentally inhale or ingest mold spores.
Signs of Mold Toxicity in Your Pets & Preventative Tips
Knowing the signs of mold toxicity in your animal friends helps them stay safe, because you can immediately take the pets to the local vet. The most common signs of mold poisoning include coughing, sneezing, runny nose and eyes, labored breathing, behavioral changes, lethargy, and eating and drinking less than normal. Toxicity signs can also include hair/fur loss, sores or broken skin, chewing on the feet, wheezing, and excessive licking and scratching.
If your pets display any of these signs, visit the vet immediately to identify the cause. Should the fungus be the culprit, you might need mold removal services for your Orange County home, depending on the degree of the infestation. It also helps to wash pet food bowls every day, which includes spraying them with a white vinegar and water mixture. Vinegar is one of the most potent natural mold killers. Storing pet food in sealed plastic containers prevents mold growth as well.