“White dust” on cheddar cheese, “green spots” on assorted breads, and “gray fuzz” on deli meat are all forms of mold. Since mold breaks down organic materials, it is not surprising that a variety of strains can appear on food. Just about everyone consumes moldy food at some point in their lives and naturally want to know if they are in danger. Learn about mold on food here from your Los Angeles mold inspectors to help yourself and your family stay safe. 

The Mycotoxin Factor

Some foods, such as various cheeses, are made with mold and therefore safe to eat. Among the “moldy cheeses” safe for consumption include bleu cheese, brie, gorgonzola, stilton, and camembert. There are also molds classified as “spoilage microorganisms,” meaning they spoil food but do not make people ill. However, many molds contain mycotoxins, or types of poisonous substances that trigger allergic reactions. Eating moldy food containing mycotoxins can result in reactions such as respiratory issues, including breathing problems, and ill feelings. If you feel sick after consuming moldy food, see your physician immediately. 

Are Some Moldy Foods Safe to Eat?

It is possible to consume moldy food by cutting off the offending sections. Hard cheeses, hard produce, and hard dry-cured ham are among these foods. Such fare has low moisture content and is therefore not as appealing to mold spores. Most mold strains need moisture to survive and reproduce. 

When cutting moldy sections off food, it is important to remove more than what you see. Mold roots can penetrate foods by 2cm or more and contribute to allergic reactions if they are eaten. By removing the mold and several centimeters below the fungus, your chances of eating the spores are greatly reduced. 

Other foods with mold are not safe for human consumption, such as moist, soft foods like cooked leftover meat, luncheon meat, yogurt, sour cream, assorted soft fruits, cooked pasta and grains, and casseroles. Relatively hard yet porous foods, such as breads, nuts, and baked goods, also fall into this category. Mold spreads easily through soft, porous, and or moist foods, making allergic reactions more likely if they are consumed. If you find mold on these foods, discard them immediately. 
For mold removal services in Los Angeles, please contact Mold Masters today. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed