You’re in your home all the time, so it’s important to have fresh, clean indoor air quality. If pollutants get into your home, you can suffer from breathing bad air; illnesses can range from minor issues like frequent sneezing to serious diseases like lung cancer. Stop the problem before it happens. Here are the most common indoor air pollutants you should avoid.
This mineral fiber is found naturally in rock and soil. Asbestos was previously used in building materials for its heat protection and sturdiness.
- Carbon Monoxide (CO)
It’s colorless, tasteless and odorless, and it can kill you before you recognize the problem. Carbon monoxide can come by way of car exhaust, gas stoves and leaking chimneys.
- Lead (Pb)
If you live in an older house, your paint may be thick with lead. Harmful exposure comes when you attempt to remove the paint improperly, such as through sanding or dry scraping.
Mold is a type of fungi that is attracted to dark, damp spaces. Some molds are harmless, while others are dangerous. Avoid it by keeping your space clean and dry, and your air quality will thank you for it.
- Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2)
Nitrogen Dioxide can be inhaled through tobacco smoke, kerosene heaters and gas stoves to name a few sources. The reddish-brown color and distinct smell make it easy to detect.
You can’t see or smell radon, but this natural gas is everywhere. It comes from uranium in the Earth and seeps into your home through the ground, well water and building materials.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
Paints, cleaning supplies and air fresheners all have VOCs in their ingredients. These products can release VOCs in a gas form while you’re using them and even when they’re just being stored.
Do you have a toxic air pollutant you want removed? Professionals at Mold Masters can help you with that. Call us at 800-371-4199 to schedule home air quality testing today.