Most homes have some sort of moisture issue and this can lead to mold. While mold is natural and may not always be harmful, left untreated, it can damage your home and cause health issues for people and pets. There are a few facts about mold that everyone should know to keep themselves and their loved ones as safe as possible.
Mold Spores Are Very Difficult To Remove
Mold spores in the air are next to impossible to remove. The most effective way to address them is to minimize and prevent mold growth by addressing moisture issues in the home.
Humidity Control Is the Best Defense
Indoor humidity should be kept low, ideally between 30- and 60-percent. This will help to decrease mold growth. Try the following techniques to lower your humidity:
- Vent damp areas such as bathrooms and laundry rooms to outdoors.
- Use air conditioners in the summer and dehumidifiers where needed.
- Use fans and open windows to maximize airflow and ventilation.
- Turn on kitchen exhaust fans whenever cooking, cleaning dishes or otherwise using significant amounts of water.
Damp Areas Must Be Dried Quickly
If an area of your home becomes damp due to spills, humidity or flooding, dry it immediately. Wet areas should be dried within 48 hours, ideally less than 24. Don’t forget to check building materials and soft items such as upholstered furniture. If you are unsure if an area is sufficiently dry or if mold has grown, get it tested. Check out the best mold testing Santa Monica have available.
Condensation Is a Concern
Windows, exterior walls and piping can develop condensation. This can cause dampness in the surrounding area if not addressed promptly. Minimize condensation by adding insulation to affected areas.
Addressing mold issues promptly is the key to prevented damage or health issues. If you are a California resident, check out the mold testing Orange Country can count on. Your local mold specialist can help you find out more about dealing with mold.