How Mold in Your Home Can Affect Your Pets
Many homes have moisture issues, and this can lead to mold. The effects of mold on humans is fairly well known and most people know the address the problem as soon as they start seeing symptoms. However, many people are unaware of the effects mold can have on their pets. Since our furry friends can’t speak up about not feeling well, this can sometimes go unnoticed for a while.
The effect of mold on pets can range from relatively minor irritation to serious pain and even blood clots. So, addressing mold issues quickly and properly is essential for ensuring the health of your pets.
Mold’s Effect On Pets
Pets are typically affected by mold through inhalation of spores or ingestion of moldy food. The former most often results in respiratory irritation and the latter in digestive distress. Prolonged exposure can cause allergic reactions. Furthermore, without proper treatment, mold-related illness can progress to serious symptoms such as organ failure.
- Difficulty breathing
- Sneezing and coughing
- Runny nose and eyes
- Excessive scratching, licking and/or grooming
- Fur loss
- Poor appetite
- Bleeding in the throat, nose or mouth
- Behavioral changes
What Can You Do?
The most likely way for pets to be affected by mold that wouldn’t affect the human occupants of your home is moldy food. So, make sure that their food is stored in cool, dry areas. Additionally, wash their food and water bowls regularly. Keeping toys clean can also help.
Similarly, clean your pets’ eating areas, cages, beds and litter boxes frequently. Avoid allowing your pets to access trash or anywhere there may be moldy food or leftovers.
Inspect your home for mold regularly. If you have ever had mold issues or suspect a problem, consider contacting the best mold inspection Venice has to offer.
Contact your local mold specialist to learn more or to have a set an inspection appointment. For mold removal Long Beach residents have some great options to help them act fast and address the problem.