Top 5 Questions Asked About Mold
Microscopic fungi, mold lives practically anywhere and is a common allergen that can cause health problems. Read on to learn more about mold and mold testing.
- Where Does Mold Grow?
Because mold only needs a cellulose base food source, moisture and oxygen to grow, it can grow nearly anywhere. You can usually find it on wood, wallpaper and paint as well as in carpet, sheetrock and insulation. A humid environment, such as the bathroom, basement or kitchen, is more likely to grow mold.
- How Can Mold Affect Me or My Home?
When it comes to your property, mold can cause sagging floors, broken walls and other structural damage. It also negatively affects your health. Exposure can cause rashes, irritated eyes, a runny nose, congestion or asthma symptoms. Prolonged exposure to toxic mold can lead to chronic bronchitis, cancer, memory loss or even death, so mold inspection is essential.
- How Can I Tell if I Have a Mold Problem?
The easiest way to tell if you have mold is to see it. It will look like small, white growths or black dots in a humid area. Even if you don’t see it, it can grow inside the walls and may have a musty odor. Even if you don’t see or smell anything, you may want to have mold testing done on your home to be sure.
- How Can I Prevent Mold in My Home?
Controlling your environment is essential for preventing mold. Repair leaky faucets, toilets or pipes immediately to avoid water buildup and remove anything damaged by water. Avoid piling wood, leaves or lawn clippings near your home and ensure decks and other outdoor areas are properly sealed. Proper ventilation is also important.
- What if I Already Have Mold in My Home?
If mold is already in the home, a professional must provide mold removal. Doing it yourself could lead to improper removal and even spread the problem.
To learn more about mold testing and removal, get in touch with Mold Masters Inc. Trained professionals are waiting to assist you.