4 Non-Toxic Household Products That Kill Mold
Any mold infestation over 10 square feet requires professional remediation to avoid inhaling an excessive number of spores and dealing with allergic reactions. However, smaller infestations can be eliminated with assorted household products. Review several products your Los Angeles-based black mold removal team recommends for minor issues.
The hydrogen peroxide in your bathroom cabinet features anti-fungal properties to kill mold on contact. It works on porous surfaces such as clothes and some types of flooring minus the chemical smell of chlorinated bleach or ammonia. Apply it directly to moldy surfaces; however, keep in mind that peroxide also features bleaching properties. Test it on an inconspicuous area first to avoid accidentally bleaching assorted items.
This clear vinegar makes an inexpensive, non-toxic, all-purpose cleaner that works on glass, wood, plastic, and many other materials. It also kills mold immediately due to antifungal and antibacterial properties. Since some homeowners find its small unpleasant, they dilute it with water to create a cleaning solution. However, it is best to apply undiluted white vinegar to moldy surfaces for quick and effective removal.
Sodium bicarbonate, or baking soda, features a high pH level that inhibits mold growth and destroys existing spores. It can be combined with white vinegar to create a foamy, mold-killing cleanser, or mixed with water to make an antifungal paste. Use baking soda to scrub mold stains, such as those on canvas awnings. If you’re dealing with severe mold stains, your Orange County mold inspectors suggest switching to borax. Like baking soda, its pH level kills mold spores and prevents re-growth. Mix borax with water to create an effective cleaning solution.
Tea Tree Oil
The essential oil features antifungal properties that make it useful for toenail fungus treatment in addition to mold removal. Mix two spoonfuls of the oil with two cups of water to create an effective cleaning spray for mild mold issues. For best results, do not rinse the solution off the affected surface. Allow it to stand and work its magic; the oil’s scent will dissipate after a few days.